Pages

Saturday 11 May 2013

Watermelon and Strawberry Cake @ Black Star Pastry, Newtown

Watermelon and Strawberry Cake
The watermelon and strawberry cake ($7.50) at Black Star Pastry (277 Australia St, Newtown) is simply amazing and one of my favourite cakes in Sydney. This is the most recognised cake in the store and its reputation is thoroughly deserved. Everything in this cake just works so well. One might think slices of watermelon in a cake is a bit odd, but it is perfect in this cake. The watermelon makes the cake refreshing. Then you get layers of almond dacquoise and rose scented whipped cream. The whipped cream is just wonderfully light. And on top of the cake there are fresh strawberries, pistachios and rose petals. Just yum! I know what I would like for my next birthday cake! 

There are other great pastries/cakes available at BSP (such as the lamb shank pie or the custard tart). BSP is seriously an awesome patisserie that I always make sure I stop by if I am in the area!   

Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon